Have you ever spent 10 minutes cleaning a window, only to find it has more smears than when you started? Despite our best efforts, those smudges can be tricky to avoid, so you’re not alone if you’re wondering how to clean windows without streaks. From what to use to clean windows to how to wash windows that are particularly greasy, our five-step guide with handy window-cleaning tips and tricks will have your windows brightened up in no time.
1. Get ready for cleaning windows
Cleaning the windows is one of those jobs that can be easily overlooked. But even a little bit of dirt can affect how much light gets into your home, so try to give them a thorough clean inside and out several times a year, and more if you live on a busy roadside.
First thing’s first: gather your helpers. The more hands the merrier. Next, gather your apparatus. Here’s what to use to clean windows:
- Dry brush
- Bucket of hot soapy water or window cleaning spray
- Large sponge
- Chamois or microfibre cloth
- Plenty paper towels
Whether you’re wiping away greasy marks, rubbing or polishing, absorbent Plenty paper towels are ideal for the job – they’re even strong enough for wringing and scrubbing.
2. Prepare the windows for cleaning
The best way to clean windows without streaks is to choose a cloudy day, as direct sunlight dries your windows too quickly, leaving smears behind. Prepare each window before you start by tying back curtains or taking down blinds, and removing any items from the windowsill. Then take a dry brush and sweep around the corners of the window frame and window furniture, removing all dust and loose dirt.
Use a piece of paper towel to wipe away any obvious greasy marks or fingerprints, before throwing it in the bin. Paper towel is preferable at this stage because it will avoid the transfer of grease to cloths or sponges (which can end up being spread to other areas of the window).
3. How to wash the windows
Next, clean the windowsill, before using a sponge and warm soapy water or window-cleaning spray to clear away any dirt from the windows. Remove the excess water with a squeegee, starting at the top of the window and working your way down in an ‘S’ shape for best results. Be sure to wipe the blade of the squeegee regularly with a paper towel to avoid returning dirt to the window.
4. Remove any remaining water
Using a damp cloth, remove the remaining cleaning solution from the window. Work in small circles or strokes from the top of the window downwards, until all of the glass is clean. Also wipe the frame and underneath the windowsill to catch any solution that may have dripped while you have been cleaning windows, before drying thoroughly with a paper towel.
If you’re looking for natural window cleaning tips, solutions such as vinegar and lemon juice can also really help to remove grease and streaks from windows. Add a little to some water, and dip your cloth into the solution, before wiping the window.
5. Buff to a high shine
The best way to clean windows without streaks is all in the buffing. Grab an extra pair of hands and some strong, fresh household towels, and see who can get the shiniest finish.
Now you know the how to clean windows without streaks, your windows will sparkle when the sun comes out, and your home should feel that little bit brighter.
Do you have a question on this topic?Contact us
- 10 tips for safely cleaning a deep fat fryer
- 3 easy ways to clean a microwave
- 3 ways to sterilise jam jars in minutes
- 5 grandparent-approved kitchen towels cleaning tips
- 6 natural products to clean (not disinfect) the house
- Gritty dishes? How to clean the dishwasher
- Here’s the best way to clean aluminium
- How to clean a fabric sofa in 6 steps
- How to clean a fridge – fast!
- How to Clean a Toilet – Properly
- How to clean a very dirty oven
- How to clean a washing machine in 5 steps
- How to clean a well-loved leather sofa
- How to clean bathroom tiles 'til they shine
- How to clean silverware until it dazzles
- How to clean stainless steel – without streaks, smudges, or scratches
- How to Clean the Bathroom in 30 Minutes (or Less)
- How to clean the carpet: 3 tips everyone should know
- How to clean the hob like a pro
- How to Clean the House Quickly – and Thoroughly
- How to clean wood burner glass so that it sparkles
- How to descale and deep clean your trusty coffee machine
- How to make cleaning fun for kids – in 8 ways
- How to remove limescale around the house – gently
- How to spring clean your home: the ultimate guide
- How to wash a car like a pro
- No more smears! How to clean mirrors without the hassle
- No more streaks: how to clean the windows properly
- Spilt milk on the carpet? Here’s how to clean it up
- The ultimate kitchen-cleaning plan
Didn't find what you were looking for?