38 people found this helpful
There’s nothing more homely than watching a log fire, but it doesn’t have quite the same effect if the fireplace glass is covered in caked ash and soot. Cleaning the glass on the log burner is one of those jobs that requires quite a bit of hard work, but the results can be amazing.
The great news is that the best way to clean wood burner glass is actually straightforward and requires very little equipment. If you’d like to know how to keep wood burner glass clean and sparkling, this step-by-step guide will help make the process quick and easy.
If you want to know how to keep wood burner glass clean between washes, simply wipe it with a piece of moistened kitchen paper that’s strong when wet (like Plenty) after every use. Just make sure the glass is cool before you touch it!
How to clean a wood burning stove
Before we get on to talking about how to clean wood stove glass, it’s important to mention what you need to do in preparation. Take the following steps before moving onto the finer details of cleaning the glass:
- Start off by removing the glass (it needs to be completely cool before you clean it, otherwise it may crack and you might burn yourself)
- Scoop out any build-up of soot and dirt at the base of your stove (keep some of it in a bowl, as we’ll come back to it later)
- Use a stiff brush to loosen other debris and it clear away
Cleaning glass on a log burner using ash
We’ve mentioned leaving some of the ash on the side, and here’s how you can use it for cleaning glass on log burner inserts. Of course, you can use the manufacturer’s glass cleaner, but this is a natural way of doing the job. Be prepared for a little hard work and plenty of scrubbing though.
- Wipe away loose ash and soot on the glass
- Take your bowl of ash and add water until it forms a paste
- Dip a strong kitchen towel into the ash
- Rub the glass with the ash in a circular motion and gradually the marks will start to go
- Repeat the process until you’re happy you’ve got your glass clean
How to clean wood burner glass with vinegar
If you’re looking for the best way to clean wood burner glass without using a chemical spray, a combination of vinegar and water can work wonders for a smart finish. After you’ve worked on the glass with your ash cleaner, you can use the vinegar to remove streaks and make the glass shine. Here’s how to do it:
- Begin by wiping away any leftover residue or haze on the glass with a strong and absorbent Plenty kitchen towel, and then wipe with a dry paper towel
- Mix one-part vinegar with three parts water and pour into a spray bottle
- Spray the solution over the glass and gently polish with your kitchen towel
- Give it a final once over with the paper towel and you should be able to see your face in the glass
Now you know how to clean wood burner glass, you can give this method a try and enjoy your fire in all its glory!