From spilled drinks at parties to messy home craft sessions, your carpet has to cope with a lot. The good news is that a few carpet stain removal tips can make all the difference – or at least, the difference between a spotless carpet and a patch you have to strategically move the sofa to hide for the next few years.
So: need to know how to clean carpet stains successfully? Look no further.
3 carpet cleaning tips for busy parents
The three tips below will help you tackle spills like a pro. Share them with your partner, kids or housemate too, so that everyone knows how to get rid of stains as soon as they happen.
1. Be prepared for carpet stain removal
Accidental spills are inevitable, so it’s important to be ready. Here’s a quick supply list for when you need to clean stains out of the carpet:
- Clean rags and kitchen paper
- A spray bottle full of water
- Spirit vinegar
- Baking soda
- Your favourite carpet cleaning product, if you have one
This should be enough to tackle most day-to-day stains as you find them. For everything else, just keep your vacuum cleaner or carpet sweeper at the ready.
2. Stain removal SOS: Work quickly
The best way to clean a carpet by hand is to tackle stains as soon as possible. Use something absorbent, strong and disposable, like Plenty household towels, to gently scoop up solids and soak up the liquid. Avoid rubbing and dabbing, as this could help the stain bed in: just leave the tissue to do its work.
Once most of the liquid is absorbed, lift off the paper and sprinkle baking soda over the stain to soak up the rest. Then you can simply hoover it away later on.
light work of spills with Plenty The Extra Big One. It’s super absorbent, strong and reusable, and the extra-large sheets are great even for major spillages.
3. Stain removal SOS: Spot clean with store cupboard essentials
Now to tackle the rest of the stain. Believe it or not, the best way to spot clean the carpet uses something you probably already have lying around, albeit for other reasons: shaving foam.
Here’s how to clean the carpet:
- Blot the stain using the method in tip 2.
- Moisten the area with clean water.
- Apply shaving foam to the stain, and work it in using a clean (unwanted) toothbrush.
- Wipe the foam away with a clean and damp paper towel. Do not shave the carpet.
- Leave the carpet to dry.
That should be enough to clean stains out of the carpet, no matter how difficult they are. Out of shaving foam? All is not lost: you can make a paste of baking soda and water, or soak the stains in a few drops of spirit vinegar instead. Just make sure you test the solution on a small, hidden area of carpet first to avoid any unwanted discolouration.
There you have it: three easy tips for keeping your carpet in great shape, whatever your daily life has in store for it.
Do you have a question on this topic?Contact us
- 10 tips for safely cleaning a deep fat fryer
- 3 easy ways to clean a microwave
- 3 ways to sterilise jam jars in minutes
- 5 grandparent-approved kitchen towels cleaning tips
- 6 natural products to clean (not disinfect) the house
- Gritty dishes? How to clean the dishwasher
- Here’s the best way to clean aluminium
- How to clean a fabric sofa in 6 steps
- How to clean a fridge – fast!
- How to Clean a Toilet – Properly
- How to clean a very dirty oven
- How to clean a washing machine in 5 steps
- How to clean a well-loved leather sofa
- How to clean bathroom tiles 'til they shine
- How to clean silverware until it dazzles
- How to clean stainless steel – without streaks, smudges, or scratches
- How to Clean the Bathroom in 30 Minutes (or Less)
- How to clean the carpet: 3 tips everyone should know
- How to clean the hob like a pro
- How to Clean the House Quickly – and Thoroughly
- How to clean wood burner glass so that it sparkles
- How to descale and deep clean your trusty coffee machine
- How to make cleaning fun for kids – in 8 ways
- How to remove limescale around the house – gently
- How to spring clean your home: the ultimate guide
- How to wash a car like a pro
- No more smears! How to clean mirrors without the hassle
- No more streaks: how to clean the windows properly
- Spilt milk on the carpet? Here’s how to clean it up
- The ultimate kitchen-cleaning plan
Didn't find what you were looking for?