Crunchy tempura, crispy chips and fried chicken … some of the yummiest (and most convenient) food comes from the deep fat fryer. But if lingering grime is getting in the way of you and your tasty treats, it’s time to find out how to clean a deep fryer properly. You just need to take a little time to learn the best way to clean deep fat fryer parts, interiors and exteriors. Here’s how to clean a fryer 10 simple steps.
Cleaning your deep fat dryer will be much easier if you wipe up splashes and spills as they occur, so keep a pack of strong and absorbent paper towels on hand. Plenty Handy Towels are super easy to access, so you can pick up and wipe in one quick motion while you fry!
1. Get your cleaning kit together
What you’ll need
- Container for the oil
- Scouring sponge
- Pan scraper or spatula
- Soft brush
- Plenty kitchen paper
Before we get on to how to clean a deep fat fryer, let’s look at the kit you’ll need for the job:
2. Start safely
Safety is your number one concern when cleaning a fryer. These steps are essential:
- Turn off and unplug your fryer.
- Make sure oil is completely cool.
- Wrap power cables in paper towels to protect against spills.
3. How to drain the oil
Once the oil is cooled you can drain it into a sealable container. If you’re planning on reusing it, check that the oil isn’t rancid or has a distinct change in colour and keep it in a cool place; otherwise, dispose of the old oil safely.
4. How to clean a fryer basket
Remove the basket from the fryer and use hot water and detergent to clean. Now it’s time for a workout! Use a vigorous scrubbing motion with your scourer or brush to remove debris, and then rinse and leave on a dish rack to dry.
5. How to remove debris and excess oil from the fryer
Start off by blotting up any leftover oil in your fryer – super-absorbent and strong Plenty paper towel does the job perfectly – before moving onto getting rid of the debris. Get those spatulas and pan scrapers ready. Just make sure they’re plastic to avoid any scratches.
6. How to clean a fryer
Fill a bowl with warm soapy water and place it next to your fryer. Take your sponge and, using a circular motion, get to work cleaning. Finally, fill your fryer with hot water and leave for around 30 minutes to loosen any stubborn grime.
7. How to clean the filters
If they’re removable there’s an easy way to clean deep fryer filters – simply take them out and soak in hot soapy water before wiping with an absorbent paper towel. If not, take a little detergent and use a paper towel to remove any excess oil and grime.
8. Finishing touches
You’re nearly there now! Just empty the hot water from your fryer and rinse out. Finally, let the interior of the fryer air dry while you wipe down the exterior and give it a little polish with your Plenty paper towel.
9. Safety dos and don’ts
- Never clean while the fryer is plugged in.
- Never immerse the fryer in water.
- Avoid water getting on electric cables.
- Always make sure the oil is cool before draining.
10. On-going maintenance
In terms of overall maintenance there are a few points that will help make the task easier:
- Regularly clean your fryer and its parts.
- When cooking, wipe up oil splashes from the exterior with paper towel.
- Regularly change the oil if your fryer is in frequent use.
- Brush heating coils when the oil is drained.
- Always follow the fryer’s manual.
Now we’ve explained how to clean a deep fryer you can get cracking. Once all the adults in your house know how to clean a deep fat fryer safely there’s no reason everyone can’t take their turn. Happy frying!
- 10 tips for safely cleaning a deep fat fryer
- 3 easy ways to clean a microwave
- 3 ways to sterilise jam jars in minutes
- 5 grandparent-approved kitchen towels cleaning tips
- 6 natural products to clean (not disinfect) the house
- Gritty dishes? How to clean the dishwasher
- Here’s the best way to clean aluminium
- How to clean a fabric sofa in 6 steps
- How to clean a fridge – fast!
- How to Clean a Toilet – Properly
- How to clean a very dirty oven
- How to clean a washing machine in 5 steps
- How to clean a well-loved leather sofa
- How to clean bathroom tiles 'til they shine
- How to clean silverware until it dazzles
- How to clean stainless steel – without streaks, smudges, or scratches
- How to Clean the Bathroom in 30 Minutes (or Less)
- How to clean the carpet: 3 tips everyone should know
- How to clean the hob like a pro
- How to Clean the House Quickly – and Thoroughly
- How to clean wood burner glass so that it sparkles
- How to descale and deep clean your trusty coffee machine
- How to make cleaning fun for kids – in 8 ways
- How to remove limescale around the house – gently
- How to spring clean your home: the ultimate guide
- How to wash a car like a pro
- No more smears! How to clean mirrors without the hassle
- No more streaks: how to clean the windows properly
- Spilt milk on the carpet? Here’s how to clean it up
- The ultimate kitchen-cleaning plan
Didn't find what you were looking for?