1 person found this helpful
Leftovers, baby food, porridge… no matter what you’re heating up in the microwave, it always seems prone to that inevitable spillage. Luckily, with the right microwave cleaning trick or two, you can avoid that crusty mess (and the elbow grease that comes with it). If you’re wondering how to clean microwave spills and stains, try these three easy-to-follow approaches.
How to clean the microwave with lemon juice
The humble lemon is always a great place to start if you’re look for ways to clean the microwave. Here’s how you do it:
In-between cleans, the best microwave cleaning trick of all is to avoid the grime in the first place. Make a habit of wiping up spillages as soon as they occur using a piece of absorbent kitchen roll. Plenty Handy Towels come in convenient single sheets, so you can keep them on hand to pick up quickly whenever you need to tackle a spill.
- Pour around 150 ml of water into a microwaveable cup or bowl.
- Slice a lemon in half and squeeze in the juice (get the kids to help you with this bit).
- Drop the lemon halves into the bowl and microwave on a high power for two minutes.
- Let the lemon-juice-infused steam do its work for five minutes.
- Lemon juice is one of the best ways to clean the microwave interior, too, so remove the microwave plate (if you have one) and scrub it in the sink before rinsing.
- Wipe the inner walls, the door and the outside of the microwave down with a moistened paper towel that’s strong when wet, like Plenty Original.
- For any stubborn stains, dip your Plenty paper towel in the remaining lemon juice and work it a little harder.
- Dry the microwave with the paper towel and replace the microwave plate.
How to clean the microwave with vinegar
Like lemon, vinegar is also one of the best ways to clean microwave stains. Once you know how to clean microwave spills with lemon-infused steam, doing the same with vinegar is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar to around 150 ml of water.
- As before, set the microwave to high and let it run for five minutes.
- Wipe away the loosened food from the microwave interior with a moistened sheet of Plenty paper towel.
- If you’d like a double-pronged approach and you want to know how to clean the microwave with lemon and vinegar, it’s easy. Just add half a lemon to the tablespoon of vinegar and follow the same steps as above.
How to clean microwave stains with baking soda
Baking soda can be used to clean so many things in the home and it can work wonders on the microwave. It also makes a satisfying fizzy foam that the kids will love watching, so talk them through these steps to help them begin to understand the microwave cleaning process. Try out this baking soda microwave cleaning trick:
- Simply make a paste of one part water to two parts baking soda.
- Apply the paste to the areas that need attention and leave for a few minutes to soak in.
- Take Plenty paper towel and rub off the stains.
Now that you know how to clean the microwave with lemon and vinegar, and the best way to attack stains with baking soda, you’ve got three different approaches to get the microwave back to its sparkling best. Now for the rest of the kitchen…
Do you have a question on this topic?Contact us
- 10 tips for safely cleaning a deep fat fryer
- 3 easy ways to clean a microwave
- 3 ways to sterilise jam jars in minutes
- 5 grandparent-approved kitchen towels cleaning tips
- 6 natural products to clean (not disinfect) the house
- Gritty dishes? How to clean the dishwasher
- Here’s the best way to clean aluminium
- How to clean a fabric sofa in 6 steps
- How to clean a fridge – fast!
- How to Clean a Toilet – Properly
- How to clean a very dirty oven
- How to clean a washing machine in 5 steps
- How to clean a well-loved leather sofa
- How to clean bathroom tiles 'til they shine
- How to clean silverware until it dazzles
- How to clean stainless steel – without streaks, smudges, or scratches
- How to Clean the Bathroom in 30 Minutes (or Less)
- How to clean the carpet: 3 tips everyone should know
- How to clean the hob like a pro
- How to Clean the House Quickly – and Thoroughly
- How to clean wood burner glass so that it sparkles
- How to descale and deep clean your trusty coffee machine
- How to make cleaning fun for kids – in 8 ways
- How to remove limescale around the house – gently
- How to spring clean your home: the ultimate guide
- How to wash a car like a pro
- No more smears! How to clean mirrors without the hassle
- No more streaks: how to clean the windows properly
- Spilt milk on the carpet? Here’s how to clean it up
- The ultimate kitchen-cleaning plan
Didn't find what you were looking for?