1 person found this helpful
Finger prints, tarnishing and those inevitable splodges of pasta sauce can all make aluminium look dull and lack-lustre. But give it a bit of tender, loving care, and it will sparkle. Luckily, if you know how to clean aluminium properly, it can take on a whole new lease of life, however well-loved it might be. Whether you want to know how to clean aluminium pots or if you want to know how to polish aluminium furniture, you’re in the right place.
How to clean aluminium sinks
Sinks work hard in the kitchen (almost as hard as you do), which can leave them looking grimy and dull, but with a little knowhow, it’s easy to bring them back to their shiny former glory. If you’re looking for the best way to clean aluminium sinks, here’s what you’re going to need:
- Washing-up liquid
- Plenty kitchen paper
Begin by cleaning the sink with washing-up liquid (or your choice of aluminium cleaner) and a sponge to get rid of most of the grime. Next, slice a lemon and dip it into salt. Scrub the sink with the salt-infused lemon, rinse thoroughly and wipe down with a paper towel like Plenty, which is strong enough to hold together even when it’s sodden, and it’ll get right into any neglected corners.
How to clean aluminium pots, pans and utensils
What you’ll need
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar
- Scouring pad
Cleaning aluminium pans and pots with an acidic solution is a great way of bringing them back to their shiny best.
After cleaning away any food debris, combine the lemon or vinegar with enough water to fill your pan and boil on the hob for 10 minutes (with utensils in if you’ve got room). Once the pan has cooled you can get to work with the scourer – a little bit of elbow grease is all that’s needed, and then the job’s done. Want to know how to make aluminium shine? For the exterior of the pan use a mild polish and buff it to a high shine using a piece of dry kitchen paper.
The more effort you put into buffing, the higher the shine will be. Try Plenty Original for paper towels you can use to scrub, reuse and soak up any excess polish.
How to clean aluminium garden furniture and accessories
What you’ll need
When it comes to cleaning aluminium in the garden you should do it on a day that’s neither too hot nor cold.
After cleaning your outdoor aluminium furniture with detergent and warm water you can move onto combining vinegar and water to make your polishing solution. Mix equal parts of each and use the scourer to work on the surface. Finally grab your hose and rinse thoroughly to make sure all of the solution is removed. When dry, you can apply a little polish (or even car wax) for extra shine.
How to polish aluminium at home
Cleaning aluminium pans, sinks and outdoor surfaces will bring a certain amount of sparkle back in its own right, but if you really want to know how to make aluminium shine, it needs some buffing. For smaller items give them a spray with specialist aluminium polish or a bit of cream of tartar and get buffing with a strong paper towel. For larger areas and sheet aluminium you’ll get the best results with a rotating buffer tool – just make sure you wear your safety goggles.
Even though these tips show you how to clean aluminium pots, sinks and outdoor furniture, you can actually give them a go on any aluminium surface. Got loads to clean? Enlist some helping hands and start your own aluminium cleaning production line. You’ll have the place shining in no time!
- 10 tips for safely cleaning a deep fat fryer
- 3 easy ways to clean a microwave
- 3 ways to sterilise jam jars in minutes
- 5 grandparent-approved kitchen towels cleaning tips
- 6 natural products to clean (not disinfect) the house
- Gritty dishes? How to clean the dishwasher
- Here’s the best way to clean aluminium
- How to clean a fabric sofa in 6 steps
- How to clean a fridge – fast!
- How to Clean a Toilet – Properly
- How to clean a very dirty oven
- How to clean a washing machine in 5 steps
- How to clean a well-loved leather sofa
- How to clean bathroom tiles 'til they shine
- How to clean silverware until it dazzles
- How to clean stainless steel – without streaks, smudges, or scratches
- How to Clean the Bathroom in 30 Minutes (or Less)
- How to clean the carpet: 3 tips everyone should know
- How to clean the hob like a pro
- How to Clean the House Quickly – and Thoroughly
- How to clean wood burner glass so that it sparkles
- How to descale and deep clean your trusty coffee machine
- How to make cleaning fun for kids – in 8 ways
- How to remove limescale around the house – gently
- How to spring clean your home: the ultimate guide
- How to wash a car like a pro
- No more smears! How to clean mirrors without the hassle
- No more streaks: how to clean the windows properly
- Spilt milk on the carpet? Here’s how to clean it up
- The ultimate kitchen-cleaning plan
Didn't find what you were looking for?