Toilet cleaning might not be our favourite chore, but it is one of the most important. It’s an area where harmful bacteria can be found, which is why knowing how to clean a toilet properly is essential. There’s also something very satisfying about a toilet that is clean, shiny and free of stains – and it’s easier to achieve than you might think.
From what to use to clean a toilet, to how to clean a toilet bowl and how to make the flush handle sparkle, here are the steps you need to get the gleam back into your toilet. What to use to clean the toilet:
What you’ll need
- Rubber gloves
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Toilet brush
- Plenty paper towel
- Generic bathroom cleaner
It’s not ideal to have the sole responsibility of toilet cleaning in your household. Make sure everyone gets involved in a toilet cleaning task rotation, and it’ll make toilet clean-ing much easier for everyone!
1. Prepare the area
Before you start toilet cleaning, put your rubber gloves on and clear the whole area around the toilet, including any toilet paper, cleaning products and anything you might have on top of the cistern. This is to prevent dirty water from the toilet brush dripping on objects near the toilet.
2. How to clean a toilet bowl
If you’re wondering what to use to clean toilet bowls that seem to be permanently stained, you’ll want to get your hands on some specially designed toilet cleaner. Lift the toilet seat, place the nozzle of the toilet bowl cleaner beneath the rim and apply the cleaner around the bowl. Make sure the entire bowl is coated and leave it to work.
3. How to clean toilet rims and seats
While the toilet cleaner is dissolving the bacteria in the bowl, spray the area above the rim with a generic bathroom surface cleaner. Leave it for a minute or two before using a moistened piece of kitchen towel to wipe it clean. Repeat the process for the under-side of the toilet seat until it’s free of stains and dispose of the paper towel in the bin.
Plenty is strong even when it’s wet, so it’ll hold together for wringing, wiping and scrubbing those hard-to-reach corners. Try The Extra Big One for extra-large sheets that might light work of big household tasks.
4. How to clean a toilet bowl: brush and flush
After about an hour, use the toilet brush to scrub the toilet bowl clean, before closing the lid of the toilet and flushing it. The toilet bowl should be spotless and free of stains by now, but if necessary, brush the toilet bowl again and flush. Wondering what to use to clean toilet bowls if they are still stained? Try adding half a cup of vinegar to the bowl and leave it to sit for 30 minutes before flushing and brushing again.
5. How to clean toilet surfaces
The body of the toilet, especially the top of the cistern, can attract a lot of dust and lint, so give it a good clean with a spray of bathroom cleaner and a piece of moistened paper towel. Wipe the flush handle first before moving to the top of the toilet and then the rest of the body of the toilet. Dispose of the paper towel in a bin instead of flushing it.
6. How to clean toilet brushes
Once your toilet cleaning is complete, remember to clean the toilet brush. Fill a bucket with hot water and bleach (always follow the label’s instructions) and leave the toilet brush to soak for 30 minutes. Rinse the brush with hot water in the toilet bowl and place it back in the brush holder ready for your next deep clean. Now for the rest of the bathroom…
- 10 tips for safely cleaning a deep fat fryer
- 3 easy ways to clean a microwave
- 3 ways to sterilise jam jars in minutes
- 5 grandparent-approved kitchen towels cleaning tips
- 6 natural products to clean (not disinfect) the house
- Gritty dishes? How to clean the dishwasher
- Here’s the best way to clean aluminium
- How to clean a fabric sofa in 6 steps
- How to clean a fridge – fast!
- How to Clean a Toilet – Properly
- How to clean a very dirty oven
- How to clean a washing machine in 5 steps
- How to clean a well-loved leather sofa
- How to clean bathroom tiles 'til they shine
- How to clean silverware until it dazzles
- How to clean stainless steel – without streaks, smudges, or scratches
- How to Clean the Bathroom in 30 Minutes (or Less)
- How to clean the carpet: 3 tips everyone should know
- How to clean the hob like a pro
- How to Clean the House Quickly – and Thoroughly
- How to clean wood burner glass so that it sparkles
- How to descale and deep clean your trusty coffee machine
- How to make cleaning fun for kids – in 8 ways
- How to remove limescale around the house – gently
- How to spring clean your home: the ultimate guide
- How to wash a car like a pro
- No more smears! How to clean mirrors without the hassle
- No more streaks: how to clean the windows properly
- Spilt milk on the carpet? Here’s how to clean it up
- The ultimate kitchen-cleaning plan
Didn't find what you were looking for?