Most of us eat bread every day, but sometimes we can’t finish the loaf before it becomes stale. The solution? Rather than turning it into crumbs, or throwing it away, you can always freeze and then defrost bread. Below you can find the best way to defrost bread – in fact, we’ll share three different ways for how to defrost bread – just pick your favourite method!
Plenty is celebrating love in all it’s messy forms with our favourite pet mess makers.. meaning cleaning up for love makes doing it a whole lot easier!
How to defrost bread
Before we talk about the simplest and quickest way to defrost bread, it’s important to know how to freeze it properly. This will definitely be quicker than kneading dough! So, to keep your bread in great shape there are a few steps to follow:
- If the bread is warm it must cool to room temperature before freezing, otherwise, when you come to defrost frozen bread you run the risk of it crumbling.
- Keep the bread covered in a bag. If the icy temperatures get directly to the bread it will spoil. A bag also prevents bacteria forming, and will mean that you don’t end up with bread that’s too dry.
- If you know that you’ll only want a few slices at a time, divide your portions into separate bags.
Follow these steps and when the time comes to defrost bread you’ll get the best results.
The easiest way to defrost bread
For a simple, hassle-free method to defrost frozen bread, simply take it out of the freezer and leave it to come to room temperature on its own. If you’re defrosting a whole loaf, leave the bread in its bag and it’ll defrost in three to four hours.
If that’s too slow, then take a look at how to defrost bread in microwave ovens.
How to defrost bread quickly
The quickest way to defrost bread is to do it in the microwave. And it’s really easy too. If you’re in a hurry to get your bread defrosted, here’s how to defrost bread quickly:
- Remove the bread from the freezer and wrap it completely in kitchen towel.
- Place your bread on the microwave plate, making sure slices don’t overlap.
- Set the dial to 10 or 15 seconds and off you go.
- Less is always more, so start off with short blasts in the microwave – you can always pop it in for a few more seconds.
It’s best to defrost bread in microwave ovens by covering it in large kitchen towels, like Plenty The Extra Big One, to absorb any moisture. This will prevent the bread from going soggy.
How to defrost bread in the oven
For a baker this is probably the best way to defrost bread. The benefits of defrosting in an oven are that your bread comes out warm and with a crust – delicious. Here’s how:
- Set your oven to 200°C and.
- Place your bread right in the centre.
- Let it warm for five minutes before removing.
- Give it five to 10 minutes to cool a little and enjoy!
There you go, three easy methods to try depending on how much time you’ve got up your sleeve. Give it a go and enjoy your bread for longer!